Friday, May 18, 2018

Flanders Nature Center


I went to a local park today where I sat on a bench and watched birds. With the exception of a screeching Red-shouldered Hawk that flew over the pond, peace was all around me. Here are a few pictures from my brief escape to Flanders Nature Center, a Land Trust in Woodbury, CT.  

It's a lovely property to explore.

The Van Vleck family believed in preserving the land and eventually left the property to the Flanders Nature Center. Per their Mission Statement on the website, "Flanders’ mission is to foster understanding and appreciation of nature, art and the wonders of the natural world through land preservation, stewardship and education." This is the website: Flanders Nature Center .  The history link is interesting. 

I wasn't the mood for walking, so I chose to sit by the pond and relax. In the summer, when the reeds are taller and the waterlilies and wild irises are bloom,  this pond resembles a Monet painting. 

Perched on the little footbridge by the water was a Cardinal that decided to serenade us for awhile.

The Bullhead Lilies are already in bloom

There are a few Wild Geraniums getting started

On the other side of the footbridge is this smaller waterhole. I've seen turtles, frogs, and snails there, but not today.  

Bluebirds were flying back and forth between the trees and a nesting box. 

Very close to the Bluebirds nesting box, there were Tree Swallows occupying a neighboring box.  I watched it for awhile and then I headed back into the world again.  

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.” 
Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Thank you. It is a pretty property. I went there again today in search of bluebirds. I did see a pretty pair of them bringing food to the nesting box. I'll have to return again (waiting to see the little ones leave the box!) Lin