Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Black Rock State Park

Located in the scenic hills of Watertown is Black Rock State Park.

Black Rock Park has trails to wander, streams to walk alongside or perhaps catch a fish or two, a small lake for swimming, ponds, sprawling lawns on which to relax, and there are picnic tables for cookouts.  There is camping available for those who enjoy that activity.

The woods will sometimes offer up little gems like Lady's Slippers, Jack-in-the-Pulpits, and Trilliums. If you're not fortunate enough to spot those plants, listen for the tapping of a woodpecker or the musical sounds of a Wood Thrush. 

At this little pond, we have seen Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, Mallards, Canada Geese, Solitary Sandpipers, Baltimore Orioles, Warblers, and Kingfishers,  On one snowy day, I saw bear tracks by the pond. There is no mistaking those footprints!  There wasn't much around when I visited this time, but I did see a couple of Orioles fly over. They were uncooperative, so no pix. 

The Laurel across the stream was in full bloom and looking beautiful. 

This Swallowtail had a damaged wing. I feel sad that there has been a significant drop in butterfly sightings around here.  I've seen Song Sparrows on this bush. Today the butterfly owned it.

Grasses near the water were softly swaying in the warm breeze

This Robin stopped just long enough for me to snap a quick pic, then off it went.

There were geese on the pond, but I didn't spot any goslings.

This little chipmunk was very close to me and stood still for awhile, probably hoping that I wouldn't see him. (Haha! I did!) 😊

 As I was getting back to the car, I turned around and saw this Heron.

One last look and then we headed back home.

Black Rock State Park (DEEP site)

The Black Rocks of Watertown




No comments: