Friday, July 13, 2018

Middlebury Land Trust

It's been pretty hot here in recent days, so I haven't felt much like going out. Lately, I've been making jokes about taking "snow baths." Is that really a thing?  Actually, I don't care for either extreme. I'd be happy if temperatures were around 65°F to 70°F all year.  (Would I like a little cheese with that whine?)  😉

This morning, we left the house early to get in a short walk.  We headed down the road to a Middlebury Land Trust property. As we walked in, the treetops were alive with bird songs. 

After passing under the canopy of trees, the area opens up. There is a strip of grass flanked by two ponds. 

Sperry Pond was covered with lily pads and flowers.


I didn't see this Green Heron first, when my husband, Lee was trying to tell me where to look. "See that lily pad that is turned up? It's near that."  Um... Did you see how many lily pads there are?  😎 I looked and looked - nothing! I began to look for it through the camera lens, instead of the naked eye. Wouldn't you know, the first moment that I put the camera to my eye, the bird was perfectly centered in the lens! Purely accidental. 


I spotted these Bumble Bees on Steeplebush flowers

Since my last visit, the Queen Anne's Lace flowers have bloomed

Swamp Milkweed. There used to be a lot more of these plants at the pond. The butterflies and dragonflies were everywhere. It isn't the case anymore. I saw none this morning.

I'm not sure what this flower is. The open flowers are similar to Hydrangea. If you know what this is, please jump in. 

Even when these roses aren't open, the fragrance is wonderful

Meadowsweet 

Buttonbush

This Great Blue Heron flew in

And spent some time pretending to be a statue. 

Another Wild Rose, this one a little more open, and a wee bee within

 Joe Pye Weed

For all the songbirds that I heard in the trees, none of them made themselves visible. All in all, it was a nice morning.  

Have a very pleasant weekend, hopefully, finding some time to enjoy a little of the nature around you. 

Until next time.  





7 comments:

12thstring said...

Rather backhanded credit for the green heron sighting :-)

12thstring said...

Nice visit though to one of your favorite places.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Hahaha! The story is true and I do believe I gave proper credit. Yes, it is a favorite place, but I have many favorite places. :)

Geraldine said...

All lovely photos but the path is my favorite, how inviting and cool looking.

I'm also not a fan of really hot weather. Here in BC we haven't had much rain for over 4 months which is VERY unusual, hopefully soon.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and enjoyable weather too!

troutbirder said...

Most wonderful sightings around the pond...:)

Mary said...

Just found your new blog. Lovely photos as always! Love the heron shots. I haven't been doing much blogging. Busy with knee surgery and moving, but I hope to still blog occasionally and check in with old blogging friends. I still prefer blogging to Facebook, where so many friends have moved their photos.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Thank you all for stopping by. It's really good to see old friends and meet some new ones, too. I appreciate you all. I'll be by to visit your blogs.