Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Sperry Pond

The Sperry Tract, maintained by the Middlebury Land Trust is close to where I live. I used to go there several times a week, but it's been awhile since I've visited. This week I decided it was time to stop by.  Walking in on the soft pine needle covered path, the cushioned ground provided quiet under my feet, and I listened for birds and watched for anything that might move. One time, a few years ago, as I was walking in, just as I emerged from the woods into the opening, I heard rustling in the bushes to the left of me. There was a sudden splashing in the water, and I watched as a startled coyote charged across the little pond, moving away from me and back into the woods at the edge of the water. I'm not sure who was more surprised, the coyote or me, but it was a fun sighting and a good memory.

Once out of the woods and into the open, the path is flanked by two ponds. There was a song sparrow to the right of me. 

There were a few daisies in bloom. I have walked on this path and had to dodge snakes like you wouldn't believe. Dozens, and I'm not exaggerating. Other years - nothing. I didn't see any snakes this day.  

Sometimes the pond positively screams with bullfrogs, but it's fairly quiet now.  I looked beyond this flower and watched as a turtle slipped off a rock and into the water.

There weren't any butterflies this day. I saw this dragonfly though. There used to be a lot of those, too. I hope it's just an "off" day.

There were Red-winged Blackbirds jumping from lily pad to lily pad in search of food.  There was also some in the trees as we walked along. They weren't happy with us being there... probably nesting and behaving territorially.

I love the pink water lilies!

In the distance was a Great Blue Heron. So nice to see it there! 

The first time I ever noticed this place, I saw three deer wading across the water, surrounded by water lilies! Magic! We quickly pulled off the road and entered the property. We had driven past it hundreds of times and didn't realize it was a land trust property until that day. 

Seriously, I had to take another picture! I was obsessed with them.

At the other end of the open area, the path continues into the woods. I didn't walk further because the mosquitoes tend to get active under those trees and I didn't use any repellent.

I spotted this Bog Laurel at the edge of the woods. I  have never seen this plant before. I identified it using this handy site. https://www.ct-botanical-society.org/Plants/view/301 I've used it often and it's a great guide to bookmark even if you don't live in Connecticut.  

Off in the far distance was this family of Wood Ducks. It's kind of a crummy picture - cropped as much as I could. 

As I was walking out, I spotted this Iris growing up between Cattails.

One last look at the Heron and we hit the road.  I look forward to going back. 

The main page for the Connecticut Botanical Society:  

Middlebury Land Trust

I found this good story about this property.










No comments: